Artist, curator and researcher of emancipatory network cultures, practices and poetics. Artistic director of Furtherfield, a not-for-profit international community hub for arts, technology and social change founded with Marc Garrett in London, in 1996. Co-editor of Artists Re:Thinking the Blockchain (2017); curator of the touring exhibition New World Order (2017-18); runs the award winning DAOWO arts and blockchain lab series with Ben Vickers, in collaboration with Goethe Institute; principal investigator for the blockchain research lab at Serpentine Galleries. Director of DECAL Decentralised Arts Lab, a Furtherfield initiative which exists to mobilise research and development by leading artists, using blockchain and web 3.0 technologies for fairer, more dynamic and connected cultural ecologies and economies.
Selected Furtherfield Projects
- 2017-19 State Machines Art, Work, and Identity in an Age of Planetary-Scale Computation. A collaboration with Aksioma (SI), Drugo More (HR), Institute of Network Cultures (NL) and NeMe (CY) funded by Creative Europe.
- 2011 Collaboration and Freedom – The World of Free and Open Source Art, an online collection for Arts Council England and P2P Foundation
- 2010-12 Zero Dollar Laptop recycling hardware, breaking Windows and installing Free and Open Source Software to build obsolescence-beating media laptops.
- Since 2006 DIWO (Do It With Others) is a distributed campaign for emancipatory, networked art practices instigated by Furtherfield. Pixelache (FI) (2012), CLICK (DK) (2014)
- Since 2005 Exhibition programme programme
Selected Artistic projects
- 2017-18 Time is Speeding Up (20-21 Visual Arts Centre & London Art Fair)
- 2009 WeWontFlyForArt
- 2012-15 Play Your Place, in collaboration with Mary Flanagan (Tate, London Southbank Centre, 2003 Rethinking
- Wargames a Lo-fi Netart commission exhibited at The Baltic, and internationally as part of Free Play with International Curation Projects (2015-17)
- Work is also featured on DVblog, the Rhizome Artbase & The Digital Kitchen.